Here is a list of all the achievements for CancerVoices SA in 2009.
Advocacy on issues:
• Concerns were raised about management of VRE and multi-drug-resistant organism risk for oncology patients. A draft Position Statement has been presented to the Safety and Quality in Health Care Consumer and Community Advisory Group.
• Monitoring implementation of Communio, Delaney and Kowalick report recommendations on cancer services, and reviews following the radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment incidents.
• Multidisciplinary team care is being progressed and integrated into cancer pathways, through representation via the Cancer Clinical Network (CCN), and Holistic care via CCN Complementary Therapies Working Group (CTWG).
Cancer Voices SA held 12 Cancer Conversations during Apr-May, and reports of these Conversations have been submitted to the Global Cancer Initiative, Campaign 2 Control Cancer. Ashleigh Moore represented Cancer Voices SA at the Go Public:Campaign 2 Control Cancer Forum in Ottawa in September.
Global Cancer Campaign:
In June, Cancer Voices SA submitted 4 commitments to the LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Campaign. Cancer Voices SA representatives received travel scholarships from the Lance Armstrong Foundation to attend the Global Cancer Summit in Dublin in August.
Ongoing representation on:
• SA Cancer Clinical Network (CCN) Steering committee and the following subcommittees/working groups:
Optimising Cancer Care subcommittee
Cancer Information subcommittee
Radiation Oncology subcommittee
Radiotherapy Performance Indicators working group,
Complementary Therapies working group (chaired by CVSA Exec)
• SA Quality and Safety Council in Healthcare Consumer Advisory Committee.
• Cancer Voices Australia (CVA) Board.
• Cancer Australia - National Consumer Advisory Committee.
• EdCAN - Cancer Nurses Education Project.
• CareSearch - Palliative Care National Advisory Group
• LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Campaign, Launch (Adelaide, Jan 09)
• Cancer Advocacy Training (Adelaide, Mar 09)
• National Institute of Complementary Medicine NICM Forum (Jun 09)
• Waltzing with Jack Dancer Geoff Goodfellow's cancer journey, explained through images and verse (June 09)
• Cancer Voices SA Annual General Meeting (Jul 09)
• Stall at Disability and Wellness Expo (Aug 09)
• LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Cancer Summit (Dublin, Aug 09)
• Go Public: Campaign to Control Cancer Forum (Ottawa, Sep 09)
• 'Patient Safety First' Workshop (Oct 09)
• 'Consumer Leadership and Community Engagement' Health Consumers Alliance Workshop (Nov 09)
• Cycling In Medicine Conference (Jan 09)
• Rotary - Adelaide Branch (Feb 09)
• Asbestos Diseases Society of SA ADSSA (Mar 09)
• Payneham Prostate Cancer Support and Awareness Group(Jun 09)
• Aboriginal Healthcare Workers Forum (Jul 09)
• Colostomy Association of SA CASA (Sep 09)
• Tailem Bend 'Cancer- Meeting the challenge' Forum (Nov 09)
• St John's Ambulance Cadets - Pt Lincoln St John SA (Dec 09)
Cancer Voices SA Cycling Team
- 123 riders in Tour Down Under Mutual Community Challenge ride,
- 20+ riders in Savings & Loans Coast to Coast ride, and 11 volunteers helped BikeSA
- 70+ members registered (with BikeSA) in Cancer Voices SA cycling team.
Cancer Voices SA Soccer Team
Soccer team participates in the inaugural 'Cancer Cup'.
Consumers involved in research proposal development and funding reviews.